Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My dog's hair is all tangled & I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

I am a weak-hearted person who was never able to hold a scissor next to my dog, Tracey, our 14 year old dog never allowed us to cut her hair, so normally we drug her and get her hair cut every couple of months! Now she's too old, there's a great risk to drugging her at this age! and her hair is just getting worse! SHE WON'T LET ME CUT ANYTHING! I know what you're thinking.. yes she is very spoiled! but it's too late to change now! Any tips or advises would do! I'm getting desperate... Please note that holding scissors next to her makes her all mad and aggressive it's virtually impossible!!



ANYONE???



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

I had a 12 year old Shih Tzu with that problem. I just took her to the vet one day, and they took care of it without drugging her or anything. They're not quite as concerned about looks as they are hygiene, so they shaved her down gently (they're the pros as far as I'm concerned) and from then on I brushed her twice a day, absolutely every single day. I would also spray anti-matting spray in her hair before brushing her. Never had a problem again!



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

Brush brush brush brush brush! If your dog has longer hair that mats and tangles easily brush at least once a week to keep it to a minimum. If your dog is groomed like this regularly it shouldn't be as big a problem. If the scissors makes her aggressive don't use them. Brush out what you can and work on getting the others out. If you really need to use scissors on something muzzle her and give her a light sedative that has been recommend from a vet and have some others help you but only if you really need to. good luck.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

Um.. take her to the vet to get shaved and brush her regularly and you wont run into this problem.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

I would suggest using shears..not scissors. My dog doesn't like me grooming her but she does allow the groomers to do it.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

maybe call a vet and they will suggest what to do. You could also maybe call in a dog groomer that could come to your house.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

My mom had a similar problem with her Golden Retriever who was 12. He hated to be groomed and brushed. Whenever he got tangeled, she always took him to the vets and had them deal with it. There specially trainted and equipped to deal with pets who have fears of scissors. They know how to calm them and work with them. Take your dog to the vets, or to a professional groomer and have them deal with it. They've gone to school for it and know how to deal with matts and tangles.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

There is a really simple answer to your question- take her to a professional groomer! My cousin is a professional groomer and she has dealt with dogs with all sorts of behavioral issues. Expain the situation to them, and they will bring the dog in and groom her without drugs or undue stress. This IS the best option for you and your dog, you should do so immediatly!



If you need assistance locating a groomer in your area, just e-mail me. I would be happy to help. Good Luck!



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

Can you bring her to a groomer and maybe they can shave her?



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

I've never tried this, but it sounds like it might work. Spray diluted creme rinse onto her fur and massage in. Then comb out gently, careful not to pull any tangles. When you do get to a tangle, hold it between her skin and the tangled portion. When you pull with the comb be sure to let your hand absorb the force of the pull. Only do small portions at a time. Make it a daily habit so she will hopefully get somewhat used to it.



Good luck!



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

Talk to the groomer. They may be able to do it without the dog being drugged.



Make sure to brush her. There are de-tangling sprays available at Petsmart.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

Hold her, shave her, and make her behave. She will probaly feel a heck of a lot better clean.



My dog's hair is all tangled %26amp; I'm very worried about her Hygiene!?

As a groomer (and dog trainer) who specializes in difficult and aggressive dogs, I can tell you that at her age, you are limited. Tere are several different methods of sedation and tranquilization out there, ask your vet if they would reccommend any. They have her history and know what she's like. I will not groom a dog over 12 with sedation. Too risky. I prefer not to sedate at all, but after 3 yrs and 10+ trips to the ER, I realized there are sometimes no other options. CAN YOU GET A MUZZLE ON HER??? Petsmart sells them and ask one of their groomers to show you which one will fit and work best. Sometimes they put on a tough show but then realize they are outta luck when it comes down to it and they will settle. One major factor is your behavior if you are intimidated or agressive yourself, it will effect the dog. Be calm cool and get to the point with the scissors/clippers. Good luck to you and feel free to e mail me if you have more ?'s on this

No comments:

Post a Comment